Sunday, September 22, 2013

September paintings...

I want to get back in the habit of writing a sentence or two about paintings I finish.  The focus now is entirely on the subject, but there is a strong narrative element that led to the subject being painting.  I hope to hang these descriptions when the series is finally hung.

My progress this year has been steady and I've been in a good rhythm of idea, sketch, transfer to canvas and paint.  I have a small notebook with my future painting ideas outlined and have gone as far as to prime canvases for them.   During the past few weeks I've finished two paintings;  Hwy 30A Surf Monitor and Tree Swallow Waiting.

Hwy 30A Surf Monitor

Back when I was in high school I used to sneak off with my brother's surfboard. He was at UF so he was none the wiser.   After surfing for a bit I'd come to shore and doze.  Once in a great while a sea gull or two would be standing nearby eyeing you or surveying the beach. You could imagine a discussion about the surf conditions and the prospect of a delectable morsel washing ashore.  

The painting is on a simple 8 X 10 panel.  I primed it a flat, light blue with the intent the  gull would pop off the canvas as a result of the shadow on its body and cast by its body...which it did.   I did add some light surf wash as it seemed to be missing something when I thought it was done.





Tree Swallow Waiting

After we first moved into our home in 1998 I put up several bird houses.  I put up a blue bird house attached to a pole on the tool shed next to my garden thinking it would be nice insect control having a nest nearby.  Quite quickly a pair of tree swallows moved it.   The pair nested for many seasons.  Initially, the male would circle whenever I was working in the garden.  He got comfortable enough with me to land on a metal fence post at the opposite end of the garden and watch my labors for a minute or two.

The painting is on an 11 X 14 canvas primed with a light naples yellow; a strong complementary color of the bird.  I did have trouble with this one...had to repaint the secondary wing coverts twice and I hope it doesn't show.  I spent more time on the details than I probably should...got away a bit from the less detail ethos of the series.



No comments:

Post a Comment